Institute of Genetics and Biotechnology
The Department of Genetics was created in 1957 within the Institute of Botany, and in 2006 it became the Institute of Genetics and Biotechnology. The first experiments in recombinant DNA in Poland were performed here in the 1970s.
Our laboratory, housed in a building shared with the Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics PAS, is fuly equipped with state of the art tools of molecular biology.
Our research concerns the regulation of eukayotic gene expression in various model systems, mitochondrial RNA metabolism in yeasts and vertebrates, applications of genetics in population research and archaeology, and human mitochondrial disorders.
The Students' Molecular Biology Association and other students' scientific organisations are supported by our Institute.